For those who had planned to get married in the near future, you will have been waiting with bated breath for the announcement of when we would head into Level 2 and what that would mean for your big day.
The Government announced that the whole country except Auckland will be moving into Level 2 at 11:59pm on Tuesday 7 September and, with this move, there are various changes to the restrictions on gatherings.
Under Level 2 you can now have your wedding although there are still a number of restrictions that you must follow.
- If your wedding or civil union ceremony is indoors — for example, at a church, mosque or other faith-based institution, or at a private home, up to 50 people can attend.
- If your wedding or civil union ceremony is outdoors, up to 100 people can attend.
- Your guests can move around freely, but they should try to keep 1 metre apart from people they do not know. When planning your wedding or civil union, make sure you have enough space for all your guests to be spread out and comfortable.
- If you are organising a wedding or civil union where your guests will have to be seated most of the time, you can space out the seats to help your guests meet the physical distancing requirements.
- If you are serving food or drinks, you must provide table service. Try to seat extended household bubbles together at one table and place the tables 1 metre apart to help with physical distancing. Serve food individually if possible so guests do not have to share utensils or plates.
- If you are planning to host a wedding reception or party at a restaurant, pub or other public venue, please follow the establishment’s safety measures.
- Your guests can dance, sing or perform at the wedding or civil union service. Physical distancing rules still apply. This means people should try to keep 1 metre apart if possible.
Nobody can attend the wedding if they have any COVID-19 symptoms or if they should be in isolation for any reason.
So what does this mean in practice?
If your guests and family are all in areas that will be in Level 2, you may be happy to have your wedding. However, guests or family who are currently in Auckland (which is still in Level 4) are not able to travel outside of Auckland to attend weddings. So, if you really want them there, you will need to wait until the whole country has moved down to at least Level 2.